Only a few people have the habit of sleeping on their stomach. This is because of some potential risks that include spinal misalignment, strain on the neck and shoulders and pain in the back and hips. Aside from that, they’ll also feel discomfort and or other parts of the body, especially if you are dead-tired from work.
Though stomach sleepers know these risks of sleeping on their stomach, still they are more comfortable sleeping in this position and others tend to flip over as they sleep. For you to get a good night’s sleep without changing your preferred sleeping position, we made a list of the best mattress for stomach sleepers.
When looking for a great mattress for stomach sleepers, you are looking for mattresses with exceptional support on the midsection. Firmness, is another key, as well. Our top 10 picks meet varying needs for stomach sleepers. Go over the review and shop for your first-ever mattress.
The best mattresses for stomach sleepers in 2021
- AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress
- Sweetnight Breeze Cooling Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress
- Layla Sleep Copper-Infused Mattress
- Leesa 10-Inch Memory Foam Mattress in a Box
- Amerisleep AS2 12-Inch Memory Foam Mattress
- Brooklyn Signature 11-Inch Hybrid Mattress
- Olee Sleep 9-Inch I-gel Multi-Layered Mattress
- Sleep Innovations Instant Pillow Top
- Olee Sleep 13SM01F Mattress
- Nectar TwinXL Mattress
- 3-layer comfort: 2-inch cooling gel-infused alternative-latex top layer, 3-inch support-foam middle layer with airflow channels for breathability, and 7-inch durable foam base
- Instant support: responsive top layer made of LURAcor alternative-latex foam offers more bouncy rebound and less “sink” compared to traditional memory foam; helps keep spine in alignment and provides relief to shoulders, hips, and other pressure points
Enjoy the best sleep at the best price with AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress. This 12-inch king-sized mattress is made of three layers of foam for optimal softness and support. It’s safe, durable and lets you enjoy head-to-toe comfort — a luxury feel beyond compare.
Its three-layer design includes a top layer memory foam that adapts to the contour of the body, giving you comfort for different sleeping positions. The soft foam middle layer provides extra cushioning and it comes with breathable air holes for efficient airflow. Lastly, the hard foam base that provides stability and support and still has airflow with its wavy surface.
- Mattress is soft but provides great support
- An inexpensive layered foam mattress that provides great comfort
- Provides high-level of comfort not just for stomach sleepers, but for anyone
- Some complained about it being too soft, but having a support pillow can solve this problem
- Shouldn’t remove the cover, there’s fiberglass in the mattress
- Some people complained about the terrible chemical smell
- Perfect balance of support & comfort-sweet night Queen mattress constructed with individually wrapped innerspring and memory foam. Individual pocket spring offers all-over and average support. The high density foam layer make you feel comfort, the gel memory Foam layer for slowly adjusts to body weight & temperature, it provides a buffer so you never feel the coils for optimal comfort, giving you better quality sleep on this Queen size mattress.
- Motion isolation minimizing partner disturbance- individually wrapped coils Encased in separate pockets, It moves independently to prevent motion transfer between partners also provide an equal weight distribution by contouring to the curves of your body, relieving pressure points for an undisturbed better night of rest. This pillow Top mattress Resists sagging, roll-off, and with medium-firm feel.
A hybrid mattress made with four layers of foam and coils, the Sweetnight Breeze Queen Mattress keeps your body align, provides you comfort and gives you support as you sleep. The Air-flow high-density foam adjusts to your body weight and temperature, while the gel memory foam right below makes you feel comfortable.
The individually-wrapped pocketed steel coils provide overall support, as well as localized motion support. It has the motion isolation feature, so even if you’re a noisy sleeper, your partner will not be disturbed, unless if you roll over a lot. Since the coils move independently, it’ll provide even weight distribution and contouring your body, thereby relieving you from stress — giving a recuperative sleep.
- Super comfortable, makes you fall asleep easily
- Setup is super easy
- Nicely contour the body to give you more comfort
- Maybe too soft for others who prefer medium-firm or firmer mattress
- None other that’s worth noting
Copper is better, that’s why Layla Sleep Copper-Infused Mattress is better at giving a cool night’s sleep than other mattress. The copper-infused memory foam has a cooling system that keeps you comfortable throughout the night and gives you support in any sleeping position. It has flippable firmness, which means it has two firmness levels — medium soft and firm — so, you can choose which side gives you a great sleep.
It has a cover that’s thermogel-infused, which reacts to your body’s temperature. Then, throughout the night, it keeps you from getting too warm, letting you have a long, deep and uninterrupted sleep. This mattress fits most bed foundation, whether adjustable or solid, so, you don’t need to buy a frame for your new mattress.
- Fairly low price, given its greatness
- Has a very smooth surface which feels comfortable
- The ‘firm’ side seems a bit firmer
- May not last long, develop visible indentions through time
- The smell is horrible and won’t be out immediately
- The Leesa mattress provides a Medium-Firm feel and is beautifully designed with three premium foam layers: A top layer of breathable foam, a second layer of memory foam that relieves back, hip and shoulder pressure, and a final signature core support layer that provides support and durability for all body types and sleep positions
- All Leesa mattresses are covered with our iconic 4 stripe mattress cover. We’ve worked hard to make this highly breathable, virtually seamless mattress cover with no tapered edges one of the most comfortable mattress covers on the market, so you can sleep well
Some worried about the quality of ‘mattress in a box,’ but Leesa 10-inch Memory Foam Mattress in a Box makes you worry-free. It’s beautifully designed with three layers of premium foam, so you can feel cool and comfortable throughout the night.
It comes with 2-inch premium foam comfort top layer that keeps you cool, has some bounce and provides best pressure relief for side sleepers. Beneath it is the 2-inch memory foam support layer which aids in contouring to the body shape and position, so you feel hugged and snuggled. Lastly, it has a 6-inch dense core foam recovery that primarily supports your body and accommodates your varied sleeping positions.
- Very easy to setup after unboxing
- Looks great with the cotton cover
- A great choice for stomach sleepers and side sleepers, as well
- Quiet expensive than other mattresses on this list
- You still tend to sleep hot and sweaty
- Has no edge support
- MEDIUM-FIRM FEEL GREAT FOR BACK AND STOMACH SLEEPERS: Medium-firm foam mattress designed with targeted pressure relief for back and stomach sleepers
- ECO-FRIENDLY DESIGN KEEPS YOU COOL: Environmentally-friendly, plant-based memory foam features an open cell structure with more air space between the foam to keep you cool and comfortable
Designed for back and stomach sleepers, the Amerisleep AS2 could your best mattress. It’s a medium-firm mattress made with 3-inch Bio-Pur™ memory foam cooling layer and 9-inch Bio-Core™ sag-free support base. The former gives comfort, while the latter, stability and support.
Also, it comes with Celliant-infused cover with minerals known to help you sleep fast and longer for more recuperative sleep. It’s compatible with adjustable bed foundation, as well as the common solid ones. Whether you’re a side sleeper, a stomach sleeper or a combination sleeper, Amerisleep is worth a try.
- Super comfortable mattress, especially when you’re new to it
- Provides just enough firmness without being too hard
- Sags and rolls after several months of use
- If you need a durable mattress, look for more
- Not affordable, quite expensive
- Made in the USA, the Brooklyn Signature is expertly designed with breathable materials, patented cooling technology and up to 1024 individually encased coils for a superior sleep experience
- Available in three comfort levels to fit your individual sleep style. (A medium firmness may be for you if you are a combination back, stomach and side sleeper; prefer a balance between contouring support; prefer the feeling of sleeping above your bed's top layers; or are a couple that needs to strike a balance with your comfort preferences.)
Brooklyn Bedding is a great manufacturer in the US, known to deliver excellent products which are conceptualized, made and distributed from their state-of-the-art facility in the country. Since Brooklyn Signature 11-Inch Hybrid Mattress is a product of this well-known company, you know it’s also designed with quality. Combining their patented cooling system with 1024 individually encased coils, you’ll experience amazing sleep you’ve never had before.
This is crafted with four layers of premium materials. It comes with 2-inch hyper-elastic foam TitanFlex with immediate response technology that adjusts to the position your body as you move. Another 2-inch TitanFlex layer that’s designed to minimize sleep disruptions. The third layer is a 6-inch engineered layer made of 1,024 individually pocketed coils for support and exceptional motion isolation.
Lastly, it has a 1-inch base support foam that enhances the structural integrity of the individual coils. So, overall, you got a well-designed mattress, expertly crafted to give you a great night’s sleep.
- Firm and designed to support pressure point relief
- Doesn’t have any issue with memory foam since the top two layers provide cooling and heat dissipation
- Keeps your spine straight and lower hips and shoulders
- May have that plastic smell upon opening the box from purchase
- Becomes softer and squishy after a year
- Multi layer Deluxe foam mattress: i-gel cooling foam + Air flow convoluted foam +high density support foam.
- Sleep cool - i-gel cooling foam & Air flow convoluted foam keep mattress from getting too hot.
An affordable multi-layered Olee Sleep 9-Inch I-Gel Multi-Layered Mattress could be a great solution for your habit of sleeping on your stomach. It’s as well-thought mattress made with gel-infused memory foam to reduce heat and DuraFoam that provides elastic support, ensuring quick recovery of the mattress. Beneath the DuraFoam is the Convoluted High-Density supportive egg carton layer which adds breathability, while the base is a high-density foam that provides longevity, durability, and support.
All these four foam layers are wrapped around a Jacquard cover, which is also gel-infused to reduce heat and keep you cool. The mattress will provide balance support, distributes the weight evenly and eliminates motion disturbance. At a very affordable price, this is a great grab.
- Offered at a fairly reasonable price
- Keeps you at neutral temperature, even when you’re a hot sleeper
- It’s not as soft as expected, but it feels supportive
- Has chemical smell that’ll last for a week or so — keep the windows and doors open
- Instant Pillow Top Memory Foam Mattress Topper: Add comfort and support to your current mattress without breaking the bank; Enjoy the gentle pressure relieving support of memory foam with a pillow top design
- Upgrade Your Mattress: This pillow top mattress topper helps to evenly distributes body weight to reduce painful pressure points and prevent tossing and turning; Easy to clean cover keeps your topper in place
Even though lying on your stomach is pretty much risky, you don’t have to suffer the risk with Sleep Innovations Instant Pillow Top Mattress Topper. Plus, you don’t need to worry about the high price tag since this product offers a luxurious feel without breaking the bank. With the dual-layer top design, you can easily convert your mattress into a great one.
This isn’t a mattress — but a very good topper for your mattress. It comes with 2-inch pressure-relieving memory foam and fiber-fill mattress topper perfect for side, back and stomach sleepers. It’s proven to provide relief to painful pressure points and change your sleeping habits without frequent toss and turns.
- Improves your ordinary mattress to the next level of comfort
- Not too firm and gives the softness that you need
- Cushiony and don’t make you feel like sinking
- There’s an initial smell, but not that annoying
- Still sleeps hot and warm even with this mattress topper
- 7.5 inch heat treated Coil maintains mattress firmness constantly
- 1 inch Eco friendly Gel cool I Gel help you sleep in proper temperature.
Another great multi-layered Olee mattress that delivers what it promised is the Olee Sleep 13SM01F Mattress. But, instead of the four layers of the 9-inch Olee Sleep Mattress, this one has five layers. Still includes the memory foam, DuraFoam, Convoluted high-density foam, and high-density foam. It adds the Duracoil with pocketed springs that are reliable in reducing motion transfer.
This one is a 13-inch mattress — additional depth with the additional support for more stability and durability. The overall design doesn’t only give comfort and support but also promises a durable mattress that may last for several years.
- No noticeable odor when you open your package
- Very firm, but not firm and stiff
- Mattress is super comfortable and provides support even for bigger occupants
- Some users find it hard and not giving
- This is warm, so not good for daily use
- #1 FASTEST GROWING BRAND IN THE U.S. - Recognized as the fastest growing e-commerce retailer by Internet Retailer, Nectar is a memory foam bed-in-a-box mattress designed for every kind of sleeper. Nectar is part of the Resident House of Brands.
- DIMENSIONS: 39" W x 80" L x 11" H
Provides optimal firmness, breathability, and comfort, Nectar TwinXL Mattress is a great mattress for any type of sleeper. It molds your body and relieves you from pressure pains and aches, so you can sleep comfortably without a problem. Since it’s cool and designed to regulate heat, it’s a great mattress even in hot weather in summer.
Made of five layers, including the Tencel cooling cover that wicks heat, giving you coolness you need for a great night’s sleep. The memory foam contours the body evenly distributes weight and supports your body, at the same time provide bounce and rebound. The breathable base layer reinforces the body contouring of the upper layers, provides support and stability of your mattress.
- Mattress that guarantees a good night’s sleep without breaking the bank
- Built nicely and with quality
- Depending on the preferences and comfort, some users find this pretty firm mattress
- Not recommended for thinner and sleepers with a small profile
Out of all the sleeping positions, sleeping on your stomach is the least popular. Only 7% of the population sleep on their bellies (source).
Regardless of sleeping position, finding the right mattress is vital to obtain a good and comfortable night’s sleep. Stomach sleepers place undue pressure on their back, hips, neck, and shoulders. As such, they need a mattress that can sufficiently support these body parts.
Ultimately, the kind of mattress you buy depends on your preferences. However, here are some factors you can consider and use as a benchmark.
Stomach sleepers usually fare better with firmer mattresses. Most sleepers and sleeping guides recommend buying mattresses on the medium to firm levels (5 to 8 on the firmness scale). These mattresses prevent your body from sinking too deeply into the material, which can misalign your spine and cause subsequent pains and aches.
However, it would help if you also kept the sleeper’s weight in mind. Heavier sleepers (those who weigh above 230 lbs.) need firmer mattresses to compensate for their weight. In comparison, lighter and average weight sleepers can comfortably use beds in the soft to medium range (4 to 5 on the firmness scale).
Memory foam mattresses are known for their high conforming ability, giving that “hugging feel” whenever you lay down on it. As such, they are quite ideal if you are looking for a comfortable bed to sleep in.
A firmer memory foam mattress for stomach sleepers is ideal for supporting your body alignment adequately while still being comfortable.
Latex mattresses are usually made from artificial, natural, or a combination of both types. Like memory foam types, these mattresses also closely conform to the body. They are also bouncy and are more durable.
However, latex mattresses are not that great at relieving pressure. Stomach sleepers should steer clear from foam mattresses that add stress on their hips and shoulders.
Read: Best Latex Mattresses
Innerspring mattresses come with coil/spring layers along with thin foam layers. Due to their construction, they give a bouncy feel and are quite supportive.
However, innerspring mattresses sag over time, especially when frequently used. Saggy beds are problematic for stomach sleepers since they cannot support your body.
Hybrid mattresses are a combination of memory foam and innerspring mattresses. These mattresses are ideal for stomach sleepers as they provide sufficient support without skimping on the comfort. The coil/spring layer keeps your spine aligned while the memory foam’s characteristics make you comfortable.
Read: Best Hybrid Mattresses
Airbeds come with air chambers that the user can adjust manually or via a remote or app. However, they are not ideal for stomach sleepers since air escapes from the mattress over time, making it sag.
Before you go out shopping, it’s best to set out your budget first to narrow down your range and choices. While many say expensive mattresses are the best, this is not always true. You can find an excellent bed for just a fraction of the price if you know what to look for.
Pillows are a must for stomach sleepers. If you do not have enough funds to purchase a new mattress, pillows are your next best bet.
You can place your pillows under your pelvis to maintain spine alignment, or you can keep them under your head to prevent your neck from turning. Choose pillows with lower to medium-lofts or those that are in the 2- to 5-inch thickness range.
Mattress toppers are also an excellent accessory for sleepers. While it does not provide additional support as a pillow does, it does bring in more comfort.
As such, stomach sleepers can opt for mattress toppers. With this, they would still benefit from the same support while adding comfort.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST MATTRESSES FOR STOMACH SLEEPERS
It’s very tricky to find the best mattress for stomach sleepers since they have special needs. Therefore, it’s very important that you give them the best tips and the best recommendations for them to find comfort in their sleeping without any health risks. Here are among the things that you should look into when looking for a mattress particularly for stomach sleepers:
A firmer and denser foam is perfect to aid stomach sleepers. However, don’t jump out of your bed and buy a firm mattress. Make sure to read reviews, heed to recommendations, at the same time, try it. If the product offers a free in-home trial, go for it. Sometimes, it’ll take time to get used to the level of firmness in your mattress.
Body Type and Weight
Just because you know that a firmer mattress is great for stomach sleepers doesn’t mean that you should go for a firmer one. Consider your body type and weight. You want a mattress that is firm enough to give you support, at the same time, soft enough to reduce pressure on the rib cage and chest. Consider your body mass index as well, overall.
There are different types of mattress, as well as the materials used. Generally, memory foam is perfect for stomach sleepers to relieve pain and stress. You’ll also have latex, though expensive. Then, you can also choose hybrid and innerspring. However, nothing is more comfortable than putting a pillow beneath your stomach when sleeping on your stomach.
To aid your stomach sleeping habits, it’s better to sleep on a mattress with an adjustable frame and support. This will help you find a new and more comfortable sleeping position without the need to lay on your stomach. But, still, you need to find the perfect mattress that’ll help you do away with stomach sleeping. Otherwise, you’ll just adjust the bed to a flat position and start sleeping on your stomach, again.
We’ve already covered much about mattresses and how to choose them. But, little have we discussed about stomach sleeping position. This YouTube video will give you helpful ideas to sleep with your stomach with comfort without suffering back pain or stressing other parts of your body.
What does it mean if you sleep on your stomach?
Sleeping on your stomach is ideal for those with digestive problems as it reduces reflux and helps relieves heartburn. This position also lowers snoring and sleep apnea since nothing is blocking your airway. However, sleeping on your stomach also adds undue pressure on your back and neck.
Why does it hurt when I lay on my stomach?
Sleeping on your stomach flattens the natural curve of your spine and adds pressure onto your middle. As such, you might feel lower back pains and other similar aches. This position also tilts your head onto your side, which can stretch and strain your neck.
What type of mattress is best for stomach sleepers?
If you are a stomach sleeper, you should ensure that your mattress can adequately support your hips and keep them in line with your shoulders. Otherwise, you would sink into the material, resulting in spinal misalignments. This, in turn, brings about different body aches and pains.
Is Amazon Basic Memory foam good for stomach sleepers?
AmazonBasics memory foam mattresses come in medium-soft to medium-firm levels (4 to 6 on the scale). As such, they provide sufficient support for stomach sleepers- mostly light to average-weight sleepers. Their memory foam layers also make it comfortable due to their high-conforming ability.
What firmness is best for stomach sleepers?
For stomach sleepers, a firm mattress is usually ideal. Most sleepers go for beds with 5 to 7 firmness levels, as these can adequately support your body.
However, keep your body weight in mind. Heavier sleepers need firmer mattresses to prevent sinking, while lighter sleepers can go softer.
Is Nectar good for stomach sleepers?
Nectar mattresses are usually on medium to medium-firm levels (5 to 6), providing sufficient support for stomach sleepers. Not only that, but these mattresses also come with memory foam comfort layers for maximum comfort.
With the medium firmness range, these mattresses can sufficiently support light and average-weight sleepers.
What does a plush mattress mean?
Plush mattresses range from firmness levels of 1 to 4 and provide the kind of softness that most want to sink into. They also conform around your body, giving you that “hugging” feeling.
These mattresses are ideal for side and back sleepers, while firm ones are nicer for stomach sleepers.
OUR CHOICE FOR THE BEST MATTRESSES FOR STOMACH SLEEPERS
While these 10 products are known to have supported stomach sleepers, we will try to help you find the ultimate product that offers you more comfort and support, especially to keep you healthier without suffering from any risks.
We have two faves, AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress and Amerisleep AS2 12-Inch Memory Foam Mattress. The latter is a bit expensive, yet primarily designed for side and stomach sleepers. Both provide comfort and great support, breathability and relieves pressure point aches.
However, if you’re a budget-buyer, the AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress is a wise choice. It’s a multi-layer mattress, made to last and designed to keep your body comfortable as you lay yourself to sleep.